Thursday, March 20, 2014

Catching Up..

It's been almost a year since I've written on this blog and a lot has happened since then. I want to share the rest of my infertility story, but I haven't known how to even begin. What I do know is that God has worked miracles in my life and it's something I want to share with the world in hopes that it will somehow touch you and show you just how big, amazing, and faithful God is.

As you know if you've read this blog, Allen and I went to Colombia in March of 2013. In December 2012, we suffered our 5th miscarriage and we were once again heartbroken. We didn't know what our future held. We believed with all of our hearts that God had given us the dream of being parents and that he would fulfill that dream, but we were heartbroken and discouraged. So, we decided to take a break from trying to start our family and put our attention and focus into our trip to Colombia. We knew if we were going to go, we needed to be 100% committed -spiritually, mentally, physically, etc.


During this break, we did decide to meet with a a new doctor for a second opinion. When he walked in to meet with us, he was looking over my chart. He asked a few questions, and then informed us that he believed I had endometriosis and he had a treatment plan. Now let me back up a minute - prior to meeting the doctor, I went forward for healing during one of our church services. I believe God provides healing in several ways and I for me I believe it was through this doctor. I learned about the doctor through a fellow friend who had struggled with infertility. Someone I had met through church. Of all the doctors in the world I chose him for a second opinion and he just happened to be doing a study on cases similar to mine.


So, we continued on with our preparations for Colombia, planning to start the new medications when we returned. Our plans got changed and we weren't able to start trying as soon as we got back, but we decided to trust God and ask others for prayer. On March 21, I helped host a "girl's night" where the women I'd gone to Colombia with and I shared our stories about our experience and how our lives had been changed that week. At the end of the night I was sharing my infertility story with a few of the women and before we left several of these women prayed over me. I felt so much peace that night - I just knew God was going to answer our prayers soon. Shortly after, we started treatment with our "new plan". I had such a peace throughout the whole thing - unlike any other time. I even wrote in my journal on April 5th - "I have really felt covered in prayer over the last few weeks, feeling calm and patient.. I know this has nothing to do with my strength, definitely a gift from God. I am praying for continued peace over the next few weeks as we continue to go through the waiting process." I just felt in my heart something was different this time.


So, on April 23rd I took a pregnancy test. It was positive! I was excited but we'd been here before. So again, we decided to share our news with a few close friends and family - asking for more prayer. I got my blood work back, showing it seemed to be a strong pregnancy. So, they scheduled me for an ultrasound. May 3rd is a day I'll never forget. It is the first time I laid eyes on my beautiful babies - TRIPLETS! Everyone asks what we thought when we found out there were three. If I am completely honest - I was terrified - not because there were 3, but because I knew that put me in the "high risk" category and I was so scared something would happen  - so again we asked for prayer (see a theme here? :) ). Slowly the weeks went by - 3 heart beats, everyone growing at the same rate, things were looking great! We started sharing our news with more and more people and eventually with the world (via facebook) :). I started to let myself get excited - started planning a nursery, registering, planning baby showers - was this real - was I finally going to have my baby  3 babies!?!


At 16 weeks we went for an ultrasound, hoping to find out the genders. We learned two of them, but got some not so good news about the 3rd. Baby C had low amniotic fluid and was a few days behind growth wise. They referred us to a specialist. They said it could be several things - Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome, issues with kidneys or bladder, placenta issues, genetic disorder, etc. We were scared - so again we asked for more prayers. We met with the specialist and had a less than stellar experience. He gave us all the worst case scenarios but said it didn't look like TTTS and they could tell at least 1 kidney was working because the bladder was full. He discussed "selective reduction". We immediately said that was not an option.We left there feeling very down and frustrated. We asked for more prayers. We went back 3 weeks later - everything was stable and the doctors were happy. They said the fluid was still low but had come up and was now on the low side of "normal". We kept praying. We learned "baby C" was a girl - 2 girls and a boy! We were so excited. We kept praying.


Eventually we hit 24 weeks (viability) and then 28 - everyone was looking good. Baby C - Hannah was hanging in there - fighting to keep up and growing proportionately with the others - but still smaller. Then we hit 30 weeks and I had a doctor's appt. We learned "Baby A" - Hallie's amniotic fluid was leaking. I was sent to the hospital and put on Magnesium to stop labor, given steroids for the babies' lungs and antibiotics to fight off potential infection. We continued to pray and ask others for prayer. They said I'd be in the hospital until the babies came. They stopped the Mag after getting the steroids in (48 hours after it started) 12 hours later on October 26, 2013, labor started. The doctor came in to check on things and said "looks like these babies are ready to come - today is the day". Not even 2 hours later, my beautiful trio was born! Hallie Grace 3lbs 13 oz at 11:00, Hannah Claire (baby C - came out 2nd) 3 lbs 2 oz at 11:01, and Caleb Allen 3lbs 6 oz at 11:02. That day is a whirlwind but I do remember Allen taking a lot of pictures and getting to see each baby as they were rolled out to the NICU. Allen even got to hold Hallie for a quick picture and I was able to give her a kiss. We were told everyone was doing well. They needed a little breathing support but they were all doing well. I couldn't believe it (still can't). My babies were here!


A few hours later, we learned Hannah had a pneumothorax and was going to need a chest tube. We didn't know exactly what that meant but we prayed! Her surgery went well. I finally got to go see my babies around 11:00pm I was able to hold Hallie and Caleb but had to wait 5 days to hold Hannah because of the chest tube.


On the day I was discharged from the hospital Hannah gave us another scare. Her chest tube came out and things seemed to be going ok - so they left it out. Then an x-ray showed the pneomothorax was back and they were going to have to put the chest tube back in. They tried but had trouble - they couldn't get it all the way in. But when they pulled it back out, they heard a "pop". They did another x-ray the pneomothorax was gone. They left the chest tube out. The doctor couldn't explain it - another miracle!


Our babies spent 7 and 8 weeks in the hospital, with Hannah finally coming home just in time for Christmas - on Christmas Eve! We are so happy to have them all home with us and they are all doing so well!


 This journey has been a roller coaster from day 1. There have been so many ups and downs. There were some really hard days and some really great days. But through it all, Allen and I chose to believe Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." We knew God's plans were better than ours. Don't get me wrong - we aren't perfect - things were hard. There were days we doubted and days I yelled and screamed and cried, etc. But through it all we learned that by confiding in others, asking for prayer, and trusting God, things turned out way better than we could have ever imagined. I never dreamed I would have three babies, much less triplets! Each day gets so much better and even on the "not so good days" we know God is with us and we are so thankful for the beautiful family he has given us. We are truly humbled and honored that he would entrust us with 3 of HIS children and we pray that we can raise them to know and live for Him - will you join us in this prayer?! 



 I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him
1 Samuel 1:27

4 comments:

  1. This s such a precious precious story. You two are/&will be the best parents. I know God always wanted you to be mommy and daddy he just had theses three waiting in line :) These three miracles are so fun to watch grow ( thank God for Facebook :) I cant wait to see what else GOD has in store for y'all. We Love you all and hope to get to meet these babies soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing story! Your bravery to keep trying is inspiring. I am so happy you guys have been blessed with three beautiful little ones. I know you are both amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have known better than to read this at school...TEARS! So incredible happy for you and Allen. Y'all are such a great example of faith. I love those babies with all my heart! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED reading this. Your little ones have such an amazing story and you and Allen are a walking testament of Gods goodness and redemption. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete