One of my favorite new
crafts is etching glass. I have etched
several Pyrex dishes (with people's last name) , a glass for Allen, and most
recently, I etched wine glasses. There
are so many different things you could etch.. I keep thinking of new things I
want to try!
So, here is a quick
tutorial on how to etch glass!
Things you will need:
- Something glass
- Cricut Machine (or
stencil and utility blade)
- Vinyl
-etching cream
- sponge brush
-paper towels
Step 1:
The first thing you want
to do is get ready: Wash the surface of the glass you are using, and set your Cricut
machine to a blade depth of 5. (If you don't have a Cricut machine, you could
try cutting your own stencil by using a utility blade. I haven't done this, but
I'm sure it would work.)
Step 2:
Next you want to cut the
words, letters, shapes, or numbers that you plan to etch. To do this, use your
Cricut to choose what you want. Once you know what you are going to etch, load
a piece of vinyl into the Cricut machine and hit "cut".
Step 3:
After your stencil has
been cut, gently peel the vinyl away
from the backing and place it in the desired place on your glass.
Step 4:
Now you will apply the
etching cream. Dip your sponge brush
into the cream and then carefully brush the cream onto the glass. (Make sure it's not too thin of a coating)
Step 5:
Wait. --The directions on
the bottle say to wait 5-10 minutes, but I usually wait about 30.
Step 6:
Once time is up, use a
dry paper towel to wipe the excess cream
off. Once the excess is off, peel off the vinyl and then use a wet paper towel
and wipe over the area you etched.
Step 7:
Clean your glass and ...
TADA!
No comments:
Post a Comment