Sunday, July 1, 2012

Words..


As a speech therapist, I have studied a lot about communication and the importance of words. I have learned that each word has a specific meaning attached to it .. which usually conjures up a picture or idea to the person who is on the receiving end of the word. Well, last weekend, Allen quickly learned this lesson and realized how changing a single word can completely change the message you are trying to convey!

Before church,  Allen was praying with some of the other deacons. During their prayer time, one of them asked Allen if he had any prayer requests. Allen responded "Yes, if you would, please continue to pray for our issues with infidelity."

The two other people praying with him, kind of stopped and gave him a funny look. All of a sudden he realized something was wrong.. this wasn't the reaction he'd expected. That's when he realized what he'd said and quickly tried to fix his mistake... "oh goodness, that's the wrong word.. I meant infertility!"

So, I have now taken Allen on as one of my speech students.. our first goal: vocabulary!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment